Darwen Vale student Joe-Jo Nicolson has been presented with a special award from the school after performing essential first aid which saved his Dad’s life following an incident at home.
12 year old Joe-Jo gave his dad Graeme lifesaving first aid after finding him unconscious at the bottom of the stairs after suffering a suspected fit or stroke.
Joe had learnt about this aspect of First Aid at a Super Learning Day at Darwen Vale.
Super Learning Days take place throughout the year and they allow pupils to experience a wide range of learning opportunities and to acquire practical skills like First Aid.
Joe’s dad Graeme, 40, of Heyfold Gardens, said: “Everyone had gone to bed and, as usual, I was left to lock up and turn everything off. Joe-Jo’s mum had been in bed for about 10 minutes when she heard a big bang followed by a loud groan. She came downstairs to find me on the floor.”
“After checking on me, she shouted to my daughter Jenny to get an ambulance. At this point, Joe-Jo had come down the stairs and completely took over from my wife, who was panicking. He firstly checked that I was breathing properly, which I wasn’t, so he gave me mouth-to-mouth for about a minute until my breathing was back to normal.”
At school yesterday, Joe-Jo was given a special achievement award from the Principal and Governing Body for his exceptional conduct.
Fiona Jack, Darwen Vale Community Academy principal, said: “It’s hard to put into words how proud we are of him.”
Photo: Joe James with governor Dean Gryce and representatives from the Red Cross